Episode 29: A Summertime Rhythm to Nurture Your Child and Family
Welcome to a new episode of the We Nurture Podcast! Today is Seasonal Thursday, and I am going to be chatting about how to create, and maintain, a nourishing, balancing summertime rhythm to nurture your child and family. We all know that the summer season is notorious for unplanned, changing activities. So, when reflecting on our rhythms, we need to focus on creating predictable and consistent routines that will support our child’s ability to self-regulate, have a sense of normality, and support their sense of wellbeing. I discuss the three essential cornerstones of support (sleep time, mealtime, and playtime) and how they promote a healthy daily rhythm. I will help you recognize when your child is expressing, their feelings of being unsettled and overwhelmed; whether it is through behavior or actions, and how to approach and implement a balanced routine to get them back to feeling their best. I hope you tune in to hear my personal summertime rhythm guide, which includes estimated times of the day, for creating a sustainable and supportive rhythm!
/ Key Points From This Episode:
- How the summer season brings a change in rhythms.
- Creating predictable and consistent routines.
- The foundation of rhythm and the three cornerstones: sleep time, mealtime, and playtime.
- How to help your child self-regulate, have a sense of normality, and support their sense of wellbeing.
- Understanding your child’s negative behavior (and boundary-pushing) as communicating feelings of being unsettled and overwhelmed.
- The major role of balancing your day-to-day life
- The power of slowing down (and expanding) the activities we do with our children.
- A framework for creating your summer rhythm.
- Sleep time: the correct number of hours for restorative sleep.
- Mealtime: helping keep the system in balance, nourishment, and blood sugar regulation.
- Playtime: nourishing cognitive, physical, social, and emotional well-being and language and communication skills development.
- The power of being in nature during your summer mealtime.
- A summertime rhythm guide, based on times of the day, for creating a nourishing routine.